W.I.L.D. – Grand Canyon Backpack Trip for Men
This spectacular W.I.L.D. backpacking trip for men will leave from the South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park on the Bright Angel Trail. The views from this trail are framed by massive cliffs as we descend toward the Colorado River. We will camp two nights at Indian Gardens Campground about halfway between the South Rim and the Colorado River. The second day of hiking will be a day hike without our large backpacks, down to the Colorado River and back, a hike of between 6.5-10 miles depending how much we hike along the Colorado. As we hike primarily on the Bright Angel Trail for three days, we will see more plant life and animal life than on other South Rim Trails. Just sleeping outside for three nights will be a treat, as will be the jaw-dropping views of the Grand Canyon. Add to all this the soul stirring W.I.L.D. group interaction plus the opportunity to raise money for a worthy cause, and you have a bucket list experience. The back country permits are obtained, the campsite at Indian Gardens is secured. Are you in? If you do one backpack trip in the Grand Canyon – make it this one!
“Few places in this world are more dangerous than home. Fear not, therefore, to try the mountain passes. They will kill care, save you from deadly apathy, set you free, and call forth every faculty into vigorous, enthusiastic action.”
– John Muir
- Thursday, Sept. 29 – We depart early morning on the 8-9 hour drive to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. After enjoying the amazing views, we have dinner together and settle in early to our camp site for the night.
- Friday, Sept. 30 – Fueling with a hot breakfast, we test ourselves on the beautiful Bright Angel Trail. Our campsite for the next two nights, Indian Gardens, lies 3,000 feet below the rim. On this 4.5 mile hike, we will have fresh water available along the way. After we set up camp, we will take our daypacks with us on a fairly level 3 mile round trip stroll to Plateau Point for a view of the Colorado River far below us.
- Saturday, Oct. 1 – With only our daypacks, lunch and water, we set off early for the bottom of the Grand Canyon and the Colorado River. This 7-10 mile hike will allow us to experience all the splendor the canyon has to reveal.
- Sunday, Oct. 2 – This is the day we trek back up the steepest part of the Bright Angel Trail. We will get an early start after breakfast and plan to get to the rim before lunch. On our way back to San Diego, we will stop along the way to buy a quick lunch and/or dinner. Our goal is to arrive back in San Diego by 9pm Sunday night.
Mandatory Qualifying Steps for W.I.L.D. Grand Canyon Backpack Trip
W.I.L.D. Grand Canyon Backpack for Men
September 29 – October 2, 2016
Sign Up Today to Reserve Your Spot
The donation is $600.00 per person. This is a once in a lifetime experience and is also a fund raising opportunity to benefit the 3 initiatives detailed below. It is our hope that each hiker will form his fundraising team using the form created for this purpose. You can enhance your life and the lives of others at the same time!
- Backcountry permit fees
- Camping fees
- W.I.L.D. Group Curriculum
- Grand Canyon entrance fees
- The opportunity to enjoy the wilderness!
Items not covered
- Transportation, food or food preparation
- Backpacking equipment
Availability is limited, so contact us if you have any questions. Men, if you are ready to Go W.I.L.D., click the “Donate” button below.
- Net proceeds from the trip will be applied towards three LifeSpring Center initiatives:
- Water and humanitarian projects in the developing world.
- Partial scholarships for local individuals and families going through a crisis who otherwise could not afford counseling.
- Counseling missionaries who are reaching out internationally and are unable to access the counseling resources they need.